Matching elements of records

Robert Virding robert.virding@REDACTED
Thu Nov 4 00:05:56 CET 2004

Seeing people have been referring to me I might enter the argument as well.
:-)

Firstly, it doesn't really matter the meaning is the same either way. It is
just a matter of choosing the style which seems clearer to you.

I prefer [X|Y] = Z because that to my Erlang eyes is a match and I am using
in within a match, so for me it seems more consistent. A match within a
match within a match ... I like consistency.

Now unfortunately I don't think you can fix the order even if you would want
to and could decide which direction. Do I hear some say "backwards
compatibility". The problem is that the syntax is much more flexible than
just

can in fact use the syntax anywhere within a pattern not just at the top
level. So for example you can have

    [a|[b|X]=Y]
    {a,X,[A,B={I,J,K},C]=Y,e}

It is truly the ultimate "have your cake and eat it" of matching. Actually
it was easier to implement in the general case than to special case it. If
it hasn't been changed.

Robert