Erlang distribution

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Wed May 19 15:49:30 CEST 2004

Oh Golly - Umm - have to read the documentation.

I'll try to be somewhat more precise about what I'm trying to do:

   - I have a largish number of nodes (382 right now :-) ((which I will assume
     is very large))

   - on *any* node I'd like to do things like

	Pid = spawn(xx@REDACTED, M, F, A)
	Pid ! Msg

   - I'd like to use the Pids as first class references so I could
     say send a Pid to a remote host and then on the remote host do Pid ! ...
     and the message would be delivered

What I don't want to happen is to get loads of node up and node down messages
and I don't want the nodes to get themselves fully connected

The manual page to global mentions an init flag "-connect_all false" which might do the
trick.

For security purposes I'd like to restrict what I could spawn and rpc - is this possible?

Somebody (I forget who) told me how to do this years ago, but I don't know if this is possible.

Has anybody done this, or tried the  "-connect_all false" mode of operation.

<< anybody like to write a book on distributed programming in Erlang :-) >>

/Joe