Publicity needed

Roger Price <>
Wed May 12 13:55:43 CEST 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> What I think we're lacking now is good flashy documentation.
> Comments?

Yessir!, not just web pages, but a third edition of "Concurrent
Programming in Erlang".

> 	1) Your HTML should be validated
> 	   spiders give up on unparsable data

An excellent recommendation.

> 	   This is how I start my pages

That's almost true Joe.  That's HTML 4, and your page is in XHTML 1, but that's not a problem.

> <link rel='STYLESHEET' type='text/css' href='base.css'>
>   2) We all choose the *same* template

Another excellent recommendation: a common "Erlang community"

> I highly recommend "Blue Haze" see

This style sheet seems to me to be over-engineered and vicious in its
attempts to circumvent structural markup.  Too much of the structure of
the document is in the classes of the style sheet:

I would prefer to see a separation between the style of the "glossy"
`Welcome to Wonderful Erlang-land', and the style of the technical
documentation.  Ok, make the welcome pages flashy, as long as they meet
WAI guidelines, but use a sober style for the
technical stuff - the sort of thing one would expect for a published paper
in a journal.

As an example of this, see the electronic proceedings of ACM MM '01
conference.  The glossy introduction is at Go to the electronic proceedings
and you see the sober technical stuff.

I suggest the sober style sheet used for the ACM MM electronic proceedings
would be better for Erlang's technical documentation.