Is erlang too small?

Einar Karttunen ekarttun@REDACTED
Mon May 10 12:36:08 CEST 2004

On 10.05 12:27, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
> You are not doomed to use a flat namespace. Package have been introduced
> in Erlang. The mechanism is not yet very popular, mainly because of old
> habits (to speak about myself), but packages work:
>
> http://www.erlang.se/publications/packages.html

That does not really help. Currently there are tons of modules on the
toplevel and moving them deeper into a hierarchy would break all code.
Of course one can do sensible things with one's own code but that is
little help as long as the whole bundled library is a single huge
namespace.

In my opinion the real problem is not so much technical, but
organisation of documentation. Currently if I need some functionality,
it is quite hard to find it. Of course this is a nonissue for
people with many years of experience with the library, but it
makes things harder for newbies.

- Einar Karttunen