Middle men wanted

bry@REDACTED bry@REDACTED
Wed May 5 17:06:49 CEST 2004

>   As somebody pointed  out many new
protocols (like  SOAP) are layered
> onto (say) HTTP - so a multi-tyred
approach might be better.

> 	a chain of processes. In the case of
SOAP there could be several
> processes involved.
>
> 	raw data gathering -> HTTP parsing -
> SOAP parsing -> ...

The thing i was trying to convey about SOAP,
which has my vote for worst technology of
the last five years, is that in the current
incarnation it is supposed to transport
agnostic. It does not need to run over http
although it almost invariably does.

 The reason for this agnosticity is i
suppose the urgency in finding some selling
point for the monstrosity that SOAP is, this
is why recently I was at a WEB SERVICES
discussion group, and when I argued against
SOAP as being mostly useless and plain xml
over http as being a better and easier
solution in most cases the argument against
this was that of course SOAP was meant to
run over all sorts of protocols (which again
i just don't trust, it seems unlikely that
you would build useful applications this
way).

As an example of the stupidity of SOAP and
as something that has some pertinency to
middle man in demonstrating likely stumbling
points I should think:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-soap12-rep-
20040428/

soap over http? nooooooo, it's http over
soap.