set sname after startup?

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Mon Jun 28 10:07:41 CEST 2004

Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on a system where I would like to have the nodes get
> their name and cookie info from their environment and a config file.
>
> Is there any way to set the name/sname parameters from inside a
> running erlang process?

with the help of the module index with search
(http://www.corelatus.com/~matthias/modules.html) it is possible to find
that module net_kernel handles what you want. this it the relevant paragraf:

This is done by the system itself, but the |start([Name])| function can
also be called directly from the normal Erlang shell prompt, and a
normal Erlang runtime system is then converted to a node. The kernel can
be shut down with the function |stop()|, but only if the kernel was not
started by the system itself. The node is then converted into a normal
Erlang runtime system. All other nodes on the network will regard this
as a total node crash.

bengt