"Hecl" - scripting for erlang

David N. Welton davidw@REDACTED
Fri Jun 25 11:29:45 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've put together a simple command language interpreter for Erlang.  My
plan is to use it with yaws, but I think it might be useful for other
things as well.  For instance, you could add some simple scripting
capabilities to an application to let end users write simple commands
for it, giving users more or less commands, as you see fit.

It is Tcl-like in nature, meaning that it does string interpolation and
makes it easy to print things out, whatever their type.

It is complementary to, and subordinate to Erlang. It's meant as a
library that you could add to your app to do some simple work (it's
pretty slow).

For the moment, I have placed it at
http://dedasys.com/freesoftware/files/hecl.tgz although if people were
interested, I suppose I could add it to jungerl.

I'm sure it's quite evident that I haven't been programming seriously in
Erlang for too long, so constructive criticism is appreciated (although
it might be nice to keep any really embarassing mistakes in private mail:-)

It's not finished either, there are still some big things to fix with
it, but I thought I'd let it loose to see if anyone else would like to
have a look.

--
David N. Welton
davidw@REDACTED