FP as far away as ever from the mainstream......

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jun 22 13:19:27 CEST 2004

--- Mike Williams <mike@REDACTED> wrote:
> And the FP
> purists don't like
> us because Erlang isn't strongly typed and totally
> "pure".

How about classifying this as a minor annoyance? In
the end, it's far more interesting, and vital, to grow
the community of developers. The trend also seems to
be moving towards not so much type inference as
dynamic high-level languages like Python, Ruby and
perhaps others we know and love, so there are some
reasons to be cheerful.

> In retrospect we made a great mistake in promoting
> Erlang as an FP.
> Joe's idea of "concurrency oriented" languages would
> have made better
> sense.....

Yeah, as a selling point, FP hasn't had a lot of pull
:-)

It might be easier and more fruitful to attract
outsiders who want to get the job done, rather than FP
advocates who will likely remain dissatisfied with
what Erlang offers.

Best,
Thomas