ODBC 2.0 drop in performance

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Thu Jun 10 14:54:28 CEST 2004

Laura M. Castro Souto wrote:

>    Hello all,
>
>      Is there anyone using the new ODBC 2.0 version, released within
> R9C-1? We do, and we have detected a rather high drop in performance. We
> would like to know if this is a common/known problem or maybe is due to
> something related with us (we are using erlang odbc application to
> comunicate with postgresql on a linux i686 machine).

The big difference between odbc 2.0 and the previous version 1.0.8
(except new functionality) is that the internal communication
mechanism was changed. This is mainly to make it more stable and easier
to maintain. The old mechanism was forcing us to use more and more
complicated and strange workarounds when some sql-drivers messes
with file-descriptors thus disturbing the erlang-port-communication.
Now the erlang-port-mechanism is only used very limited and most
communication is done via sockets. We did not expect this change to
cause any noticeable changes in performance and I can't say that we have
noticed anything like that in our testing, on the other hand
we have not made any special performance tests.

How much is a "rather high" performance drop? You could always try to
run it in a very clean environment to try to eliminate other factors
such as high network load etc..

--
/Ingela