Storing/Accessing stuff in a big terrain map

Marc van Woerkom Marc.Vanwoerkom@REDACTED
Wed Jun 9 12:07:25 CEST 2004

Am Wed, 9 Jun 2004 11:50:57 +0200  hat
"Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB)" <ulf.wiger@REDACTED> geschrieben:

>Ooh, tricky. I guess you're talking about storing DTEDs
>(Digital Terrain Elevation Data) etc.?

Nah, much simpler.
Just a plain game board (1000x1000 cells or such) and
put/get some 16bits of information in every cell, to
implement that ant simulation. Or a robot war or a car
simulator.. :)

Like

   Value = get(Map, X, Y, Bit)

   store(Map, X, Y, Bit, true)

There is no array type in Erlang suitable for random
access ops?

>I guess when trying to use Erlang for this type of thing,
>you have to determine what level of scalability and
>performance is "good enough".

Perhaps on really has to implement some Bif or talk to
some C written storage server. :)

Regards,
Marc