mnesia, large datasets and key range lookups

Jouni Rynö Jouni.Ryno@REDACTED
Tue Jul 13 12:35:34 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 11:59 +0200, Nigel.Head@REDACTED wrote:
> > [..]
> > It's not an ordered set, but a bag.
>
> Yes, but if you put all the parameters for one timestamp into one record, and
> have a key which is only the time, then it COULD be an ordered set, with all the
> advantages that brings. That's effectively what our archiving systems do here,
> for exectly the performance reason you're investigating (of course, and
> unfortunately, our systems are not implemented in Erlang -- maybe one day I can
> change that!).

Maybe the day, when this statement from the mnesia manual disappears:
"Note: currently 'ordered_set' is not supported for 'disc_only_copies'
tables."
I don't think I have enough memory in my machines to keep the data in
the RAM :(.

The fragmented tables feature in the mnesia seems at the moment at least
a fun way to continue ...

Jouni
--

  Jouni Rynö                            mailto://Jouni.Ryno@fmi.fi/
                                        http://www.geo.fmi.fi/~ryno/

  "It's just zeros and ones, it cannot be hard"