How do I find my own IP address?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Sat Jan 24 01:21:17 CET 2004

Vlad Dumitrescu <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> wrote:
> I couldn't connect with ex11 to the X server, and I think I found the cause. If
> $DISPLAY refers to localhost or 127.0.0.1, then ex11 first resolves the local
> host name, which is then used to look for a cookie.
>
> This means that it isn't enough to have a xauth cookie for localhost:0 or
> 127.0.0.1:0, but it needs one for "inet:gethostname()":0. Which isn't quite
> proper, I think.

I think this is my bug Vlad, so don't blame Joe for it.  His second
release has my smart connection patch, which I apparently made a
few wrong assumptions in.

I think you are right, if $DISPLAY directly contains 127.0.0.1 or
localhost, or has the empty string, inet:gethostname() should only
be used as one of the possible names during the xauth cookie search,
but the actual connection should be to 127.0.0.1.

--
Shawn.

  Break into jail and claim police brutality.