How do I find my own IP address?

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Thu Jan 22 23:18:43 CET 2004

Joachim Durchholz <joachim.durchholz@REDACTED> writes:

> I've still got a nagging feeling that Joe is on the wrong
> trail. Applications should never be required to chase for IP addresses
> (or, for that matter, for domain names).

You're right. The right trail is unix domain sockets, that's how
programs like xterm connect to the local X server without any
fuss. The discovery that common Linux boxes don't listen for X
connections via TCP at all means TCP sockets can't be "bomb proofed".

I added 'unixdom' to the jungerl. All you have to do is apply the
previously posted patch to ex11 and then run:

  jerl -pa ex11/lib ex11/widgets -s example0 start

and it should be bomb proof.

(Add jungerl/bin to your PATH to get 'jerl'. It is a wrapper
shell-script around 'erl' that adds all of the Jungerl applications to
the code-path, thus making unixdom sockets available.)

Cheers,
Luke