ANNOUNCE - graphics package

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jan 21 11:30:15 CET 2004

Hmm, I don't like the idea of using garbage collection to clean up X-Window resources; The widgets would stay on the screen, leaving unresponsive zombie windows on the screen, until a (non-deterministic?) GC occurs. That leaves a bad impression on the user (i.e. me!)

Lets leave GC alone, it was designed for a single purpose, and I hate piggy-back features stapled on because the problem wasn't analysed thouroughly enough to come up with the right answer!

To summerise, I can imagine two scenarii:-

  A) Process controlling widget terminates --> delete corresponding X-Window widget.

  B) User kills X-Window widget --> controlling process gets a `close' message (or dies).

Maybe there ought to be _two_ linked processes for each widget, or at least a supervising process that monitors the X connection and the corresponding Erlang process(es). If either disconnects/dies the other is likewise terminated.

Would this be a reasonable mechanism?

Pete.

--
"The Tao of Programming