ANNOUNCE - graphics package

Taj Khattra <>
Tue Jan 20 01:18:25 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 03:07:01PM +0100, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> I'd like to recommend some interesting reading
>, pleading for replacing the
> event loop with continuation passing.

another interesting read, from 1989 (cited in Fuch's paper too):

which advocates a concurrency oriented model for window systems.

here's an excerpt from its Conclusions section:

  Window systems are not inherently complex.  They seem complex because we
  traditionally write them, and their client applications, as single processes
  controlled by an asynchronous, event-driven interface.  We force them into the
  mold of real-time software.  They can be simplified greatly by writing them as
  multiple processes, each with individual, synchronous communication channels on
  which to receive data and control information.