ANNOUNCE - graphics package

Joe Armstrong joe@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 11:45:46 CET 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Mikael Karlsson wrote:

> Oh yes!
> could I add some support for PDF like primitives to the wishlist, so
> one could have an ErlGuten like interface.
> See: http://www.cairographics.org/

This is the plan ...

The next goal is to get support for anti-alised fonts and alpha blending
+ to get the kind of TCL/TK usability.

IMHO the ex11 graphics stuff is *much* easier to program than TCL since
you can *directly* hit the X protocol level.

In TCL/TK you have to *change languages* to do real tricky stuff
(ie you can no longer program in TCL to do tricky things but have to change to
C)

If you want to do tricky things in ex11 you can *stay* in Erlang - since
All levels can direcly communicate with the X server socket.

> There are actually two X11 libraries under jungerl:
> ex11 and x11,  is  "ex11" the one to choose?

Neither - the ex11 on http://www.sics.se/~joe/ex11 is derived from
the Jungerl but has now been significantly changed.

/Joe