Request for next net_kernel release: new switch "net_setuptime_millis"

Patrik Nyblom pan@REDACTED
Fri Jan 9 16:03:14 CET 2004

Hi,

Well, the reason for the 7s delay is simply that a suspended erlang node
is still in some sense "alive". The listen socket is still listening and
it's still registered with it's local epmd. On the other hand, if the
node is completely halted, epmd has it unregistered and connection
attempts fail instantly. What happens is for a suspended node (suspended
node named b@REDACTED, connected from a@REDACTED):

a@REDACTED issues a request for b@REDACTED to epmd on host2. The request gets
answered immediately, a portnumber is the answer.

a@REDACTED connects to the given port (which succeeds as TCP/IP and the
socket interface works that way).

a@REDACTED sends the initial handshake string

a@REDACTED waits the stipulated timeout for the answer.

-> pang after 7 s

If the network cable is cut to host2, we would instead get:

a@REDACTED tries to connect to epmd on host2. The connection attempt fails
after the stipulated timeout.

-> pang after 7 s

On the other hand, if the node has never been alive:

a@REDACTED issues a request to epmd which immediately answers that there is
no such host.

-> pang after a few millis.

So, it's not that the distribution in node A keeps any data, it's simply
that we have a timeout situation when a node is suspended, regardless if
we have known the node before or not.

TCP/IP is unfortunately not a protocol made for realtime applications...
That's what all this long timeout hazzle comes from. A better network
protocol would make things much funnier for Erlang, no ticking, no
timeouting etc... A reliable protocol that monitors the links... a
protocol designed not for web browsing but for telecom... Sigh...
Timeouts shorter than 1 s could be useful though. I agree. I'll add the
possibility to define fractions of seconds to the configuration.

Cheers,
/Patrik