Finding unique elements of a list

Ulf Wiger (AL/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Wed Dec 1 18:10:23 CET 2004

To my knowledge, there's no such function.
Not that I doubt your ability to write one yourself,
but here's a suggestion:

u(L) -> u(L, []).
u([H|T], Acc) ->
    case lists:member(H,Acc) of
	true ->  u(T, Acc);
	false -> u(T, [H|Acc])
    end;
u([], Acc) ->
    lists:reverse(Acc).

Here's another one, shorter, O(1), and, most importantly,
cuter (functional purists may retch at will):

u2(L) ->
    T = ets:new(temp,[set]),
    L1 = lists:filter(fun(X) -> ets:insert_new(T, {X,1}) end, L),
    ets:delete(T),
    L1.

Works only on newer erlangs (newest R9C and R10, I believe).

/Uffe