Megaco stack

Guillermo Fernandez Castellanos guillermo.fernandez@REDACTED
Thu Aug 26 04:42:57 CEST 2004

Hi,

Accept my appologies if this message has been already sended to the list...

I am starting to look at Erlang, as I need a Megaco stack for my job and
Erlang's one seems to be promising. The problem is, my boss ask me to
make it work in only a few Mb of disk space, and that's largelly under
the 80 Mb of my Linux installation... I am using the latest Erlang
distribution. Is that possible? Or is an impossible dream? What would
(rough estimation, of course) be the minimal disk space requirements?

I would apreciate any hint, link or help in that direction.

I had a look to the Erlan FAQ, and finded the following references:

5.5 How do I write an Erlang system that fits on a floppy?
http://www.sics.se/~joe/sae.html
Unfortunatelly this distribution does not give a lot of details about
the libraries that it includes, and Megaco does not seem to be one of them.

8.9. Is Erlang small enough for embedded systems?
"""It is reasonably straightforward to fit Erlang itself into 2Mbyte of
persistant storage"""
""" This can be automated by editing otp.mk and adding +compressed
+no_debug_info to the erlang compiler options and then rebuilding all
the libraries."""
unfortunatelly I did not find it that straightforward nor was able to
find the opt.mk file...

After a
$ grep -r '\-include' * |  awk 'FS="\"" {print $2}' | sort | uniq -u
et/include/et.hrl
megaco/include/megaco_sdp.hrl
megaco/src/text/megaco_text_tokens.hrl
megaco_ber_bin_drv_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_ber_bin_drv_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl
megaco_ber_bin_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_ber_bin_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl
megaco_ber_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_ber_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl
megaco_per_bin_drv_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_per_bin_drv_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl
megaco_per_bin_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_per_bin_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl
megaco_per_media_gateway_control_v1.hrl
megaco_per_media_gateway_control_v2.hrl

i found that the dependencies seemed to rely little on the OTP library.
I then thought about simply stripping (deleting...) the non used OTP
modules (applications) from the compiled Erlang distribution. But
something tells me it's not a good idea...

Thanks,