AW: Hello (Erlang) World!

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Mon Aug 16 16:36:22 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 02:58:10PM +0200, Richard Carlsson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Eric Newhuis wrote:
>
> > If memory serves me correctly we had trouble passing off some module names
> > to some OTP modules that liked to use the {M,F,A} "callback" idiom.
>
> As long as you used ?MODULE to pass the (full) module names, it should
> work with callbacks as well.
>
> > But there may have been some problems with some 3rd party tools as well.
> >
> > And we inherited a build system from someone and it did not like the dots
> > either.
>
> Yes, build systems usually make a lot of assumptions. It would be nice
> if someone who knows Erlang build systems well and also has an interest
> in packages (*coughulfwiger*) could present a good build strategy. :-)

We at Vail have been building Erlang applications with autotools, then
packaging with NetBSD pkgsrc and deploying via cfengine. This strategy has
worked well for us.

We continue to evolve the build system as we go, and fortunately the tools
mentioned above allow us to do that as an iterative process.

It also helps that the tools are both opensource and pretty standard these
days (and have been for quite some time).

Unfortunately I would have to do some checking before I could post any concrete
examples (i.e. Makefile.am's, configure.ac's, m4 macros, etc)

-Rick