AW: Hello (Erlang) World!

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Mon Aug 16 14:25:56 CEST 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Eric Newhuis wrote:

> We tried this feature and it caused problems.
>
> Either due to our then lack of Erlang finesse or actual limitations the
> packaging causes problems with OTP.

Can you describe these problems in a bit more detail, please?

> Can anyone comment on that?  Maybe it has been brought up before.
> Now where is that mailling list archive search button....

The only real problem that I know about has to do with the debugger,
which has its own hard-coded ideas about how a module looks and
where it should be found.

	/Richard

> >> Now this is interesting! I looked through the Erlang book, the "Erlang
> >> Extensions since 4.4" and the most current "Erlang Reference Manual
> >> version 5.3" - no mentioning of packages. Is this something like a
> >> (nearly) "undocumented feature"?
> >
> > "Nearly undocumented" is pretty much correct. It is only announced
> > in the "Release Highlights" section of the R9 documentation.
> >
> > Note that the tech report from 2000 was just the first draft of
> > what the package system could look like. It does not describe the
> > implementation. The first link above is the one to use for reference.
> >
> > /Richard
>
> Eric Newhuis
> Chief Technology Officer
> FutureSource
> 630.649.9619 Mobile
> 630.792.2065 Office
> 630.792.2600 Fax
> enewhuis@REDACTED
> http://www.ifuturesource.com
>
> FutureSource | Futures Solutions. Now.
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message is legally privileged and
> confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or
> entity named above. If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended
> copy of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e mail
> in error, please contact the sender and immediately delete the original
> message. Thank you.

Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://user.it.uu.se/~richardc/
 "Having users is like optimization: the wise course is to delay it."
   -- Paul Graham