Erlang hints from an CO junkie

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Thu Aug 12 20:26:43 CEST 2004

Vlad Balin writes:

 > Lets dig into definitions. The world-known OOP
 > definition consist of 3 properties:
 > 1) encapsulation
 > 2) polimorphism
 > 3) inheritance.
[...]
 > Could you give a reference to the definition of object
 > you operating with?

Here's what Grady Booch says:

   An object has state, behavior, and identity; the structure and
   behavior of similar objects are defined in their common class; the
   terms instance and object are interchangeable

or here's what Rumbaugh says

   We define an object as a concept, abstraction or thing with crisp
   boundaries and meaning for the problem at hand.

Including the word "crisp" doesn't make it any less vague...

That's the nice thing about objects. There are so many different
definitions to choose from that you can use it to mean pretty much
anything at all.

Matthias (recycled from last year)