Capturing all the information in the world

Jay Nelson jay@REDACTED
Mon Aug 9 17:52:44 CEST 2004

Interesting article on CNET today about searching digital information.

http://news.com.com/Next-generation+search+tools+to+refine+results/2100-1025_3-5299239.html?tag=nefd.lede

The comment I found fitting with my recent thinking was:

"File systems will likely begin to disappear as search gains popularity.
One of the phenomena that Microsoft researchers are finding in
MyLifeBits is that files are largely ad hoc categories that become
outdated, said Jim Gemmell at Microsoft Research."

Anybody else thinking about storing data without a file system or
structured database and what that might mean?  My ideas have to do with
streaming information and some of the concepts in Jeremy Raskin's "The
Human Interface".  I want to create a system with no applications and no
file system, but which has the flexibility for the user to mold into a
tool that serves them well in creating text, such as writing poetry,
books, email or even formatted text like bookmarks, address lists,
tracking expenses, managing music collections, etc.

erlang seems to me useful for such a project because it is easy to
string together processes for transforming data to create the dynamic
structure desired at any given moment.

jay