Starting a slave node (in Gentoo Linux)

Gösta Ask <>
Mon Apr 26 21:09:44 CEST 2004

I have this awkward problem of  receiving a timeout error message when I
try to start a slave node (even locally) from an Erlang shell on my
Gentoo box. I have tried the fixes suggested both in and
but to no avail. Maybe someone on this list who is more experienced with
the Gentoo environment than I am can lend me a helping hand? At work we
have also seen this timeout occur under very special circumstances - not
always - under Solaris9.  Under Gentoo I have so far been unable to get
it to work at all.

Eshell V5.3  (abort with ^G)
()1 <mailto:%291>> net_adm:world().
()2 <mailto:%292>> slave:start(falcon, foobar, "").
()3 <mailto:%293>> net_adm:ping(
()4 <mailto:%294>> inet:gethostbyname(falcon).

 <mailto:> askg $ more .erlang
inet_db:set_lookup([files, dns]).
 <mailto:> askg $ uname -a
Linux falcon 2.4.20-gentoo-r6 #1 Fri Feb 27 10:59:40 CET 2004 i686
Pentium II (Deschutes) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

On the RedHat boxes of my colleauges this is not a problem. So they are
beginning to sneer at Gentoo. I still hope to get the better of it with
a reasonable effort though...

/Gösta Ask
(Mobile Arts)