io:format calls in mnesia

Hakan Mattsson hakan@REDACTED
Fri Apr 23 14:40:17 CEST 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Rick Pettit wrote:

> While working with a coworker we noticed that the mnesia sources are littered
> with io:format/1 and io:format/2 calls. This explains a problem we had starting
> nodes (which used mnesia) from Solaris inittab without redirecting stdout to
> some file or /dev/null (i.e. we believe Solaris sent a SIGPIPE in response
> to attempt to write to a non-existent stdout).
>
> Was the use of io:format/1 and io:format/2 (vs. error_logger routines, etc)
> intentional?

Mnesia reports its errors to the error_logger and prints its debug
info with io:format/X. By default, the debug printouts are turned off.

Regardless of whether Mnesia prints stuff with io:format/X or not, you
need to configure your system to deal with such printouts, as any
Erlang application may have printouts.

/Håkan