Redirecting functions calls ?

Sean Hinde sean.hinde@REDACTED
Fri Apr 23 00:18:18 CEST 2004

Hi,

On 23 Apr 2004, at 00:39, yerl@REDACTED wrote:

> Hi All,
> Is there a method to redirect the call of a function and execute
> another one instead.
> For exemple, lets assume 2 functions "foo" and "bar":
>
> foo(X) ->
>  blablabla,
>  26.
>
> bar(Y) ->
>  blablabla,
>  38.
>
> When calling foo(10), I want to intercept this call and replace with
> bar(10). Of course, the result of foo(10) is replaced by the one of
> bar(10).
>
> Can anyboby help me!

Actually this is almost possible - I discovered a compiler bug just
today:

-module(compiler_bug).
-export([test/1, wow/1]).

test(A) when fred ->
     {ok, A}.

wow(A) ->
     wow.

This compiles fine. Trying this out:

175> compiler_bug:test(1).

=ERROR REPORT==== 22-Apr-2004::23:11:45 ===
Error in process <0.1000.0> on node 'eradius@REDACTED' with exit
value:
{function_clause,[{compiler_bug,wow,[1]},{erl_eval,do_apply,5},{shell,ev
al_loop,2}]}

** exited: {function_clause,[{compiler_bug,wow,[1]},
                              {erl_eval,do_apply,5},
                              {shell,eval_loop,2}]} **

I haven't managed to make it correctly call wow(1), but the error
report suggests that my call to test/1 did indeed result in a call to
wow/1

:-)

Sean