How to implement a spreadsheet?

Shawn Pearce spearce@REDACTED
Tue Apr 13 05:12:43 CEST 2004

The definition of the function is actually done by (roughly) creating
a hidden function within the module which implements the code, and
then calling it with a tuple.  Its roughly as if you had written:

calculate_cell(Data, Context, Formula) ->
	DataFunction = {?MODULE, calculate_cell, {Data, Context}},
	% to call:
	{M,F,{A,B}} = DataFunction,
	M:F(A, B, X, Y)

calculate_cell_0(Data, Context, X, Y) ->
	lookup_data(Data, Context, X, Y).

But a lot faster and makes a heck of a lot more sense.  So you will
get one copy of the code, and when you actually bind DataFunction
to the fun, you actually get a tiny little data value which contains
references to the code, Data and Context.  Therefore if you made one
million funs, you would still have just one copy of Data and just one
copy of Context.

However, if you send the fun in a message to another process, the
entire set of data in Data and Context will get copied to during transit,
so you don't want to put a huge amount of data in there if you are
sending it around often.

I'd suggest you look at ets if you want to implement a spreadsheet.  It
may work better for mutable term storage when dealing with huge amounts
of data.  Its a mutable data structure and its global, so multiple
processes can access it at once without having to copy the data back
and forth all of the time.

Your little example already indicates one reason you may need to do
the parser yourself.  Erlang can't do:

	157> 2^4.
	** 1: syntax error before: '^' **

So you'll have to at least parse that expression into:

	157> math:pow(2,4).
	16.0000

which may be easy, but then you might want to make cell references
like Excel and other popular spreadsheets do:

	158> D18 * D12 - D15.
	** 1: variable 'D18' is unbound **

So of course this requires you to scan the string, or bind every cell
into a variable in the interpreter...  ugly.

As a matter of style, don't name functions with uppercase names in
your modules - they look like variable names, and it looks out of
place relative to everything else.  (Not to mention that erlc will
choke on it with an error message.)

As for importing into your local module, look at the -import attribute.
I think it's something like:

	-module(foo).
	-import(math, [sin/2, pow/2]).

but I don't use it in my code.  :-)