Antw: Anybody done this

Luke Gorrie luke@REDACTED
Mon Apr 5 10:14:52 CEST 2004

"Olivier Lefevre" <Olivier.Lefevre@REDACTED> writes:

>> I'd  like to  say  erlang:suspend(File) which  would suspend  Erlang
>> dumping the state into a  file and later say erlang:resume(File) which
>> would re-start  the suspended Erlang  from *exactly* the state  it was in.
>
> That does not eaxctly answer Joe's question but I can't resist pointing
> out that in the olden days APLers used to do that all the time. I don't know
> whether it was a "maintenance nightmare" but from a user point of view
> it worked very well.

This is still done with e.g. Squeak Smalltalk.

If you had a pair of programs:

  save-to-internet <filename>
  load-from-internet <filename>

based on some fancy peer to peer thingy then it might be really cool
to use with VMware, Squeak, etc.

Though if you really want it I imagine you can easily hook yourself up
using rsync anyway, provided you have a shell somewhere.

-Luke