Enhanced type guard syntax]

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Mon Sep 22 09:29:05 CEST 2003

Hi Gurus,

After spending a weekend thinking about totally unrelated things, and
now that my mind is somewhat refreshed, my opinion is _NO_, please don't
change the notation. The only "gain" is a change in syntax. I'm
perfectly happy to read the "English" version.

As for optimisation, where I've needed high speed bit-crunching I've
resorted to C and C-node servers. This kinda dodges the
language-improvement issue, but I'm simply being pragmatic, and it has
worked very well for what I've done. Speed in Erlang isn't a big issue
for me.

As for type-checking and code-correctness a code analyser would be a
wonderfully powerful design tool. Erlang already has the remarkable
quality of expressing algorithms clearly. I make lots of syntactic
errors when writing (wither semicolon?), but once I've cleaned them up,
most of the time the code semantics are correct and works as desired. Yay!

But in practice I've rarely had such obscure problems as "how did an
atom end up being used as a number?". Maybe the excellent error trapping
and recovery mechanisms in Erlang could be to "blame" for this? I found
debugging Erlang code is relatively easy, because the error reports are
exact and meaningful, and the programs don't go quietly mad before
failing miles down the execution path.

Pete.