Interview with Stroustrup

Carsten Schultz carsten@REDACTED
Thu Sep 18 11:52:46 CEST 2003

This max be off-topic, but anyway...

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 08:51:05AM +0100, Peter-Henry Mander wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I'm only posting this out of malice (-:
>
> It's curious to read that Bjarn is, from an Erlang point of view at
> least, trying to reinvent the wheel wrt distributed computing.
[...]
> BS: [...] Instead, I wrote a program where the communication between
> the parts were represented by ordinary C++ member function calls. If
> the object to be called was local, I directly called members of
> class X; if not, I called the same members of class proxy.

I do not remember the terminology or the details, but remote objects
via proxys were available in Objective C on NextStep.  I do not know,
if they have survived...

There may be something original in the mentioned work, though.  It is
hard to tell from the brief description.

Greetings,

Carsten

--
Carsten Schultz (2:40, 33:47), FB Mathematik, FU Berlin
http://carsten.fu-mathe-team.de/