Interview with Stroustrup

Peter-Henry Mander erlang@REDACTED
Thu Sep 18 09:51:05 CEST 2003

Hi Gurus,

I'm only posting this out of malice (-:

It's curious to read that Bjarn is, from an Erlang point of view at
least, trying to reinvent the wheel wrt distributed computing.

Having pretty much dropped C++ in favour of Erlang due to the vast
simplification of code for most of my work, I find this mildly amusing.

Can anyone with code-credibility steer Bjarn toward Erlang? He may
appreciate a working example.

Pete.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7099&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Quote:

"LJ:If it's not a secret, what do you research at your job?

"BS: [...] I wanted to write a small program than needed to run with
parts being on several computers. Conventionally, I'd have to write that
program so the communication methods were explicit in the program. For
example, if I used CORBA, my code would contain CORBA calls and I'd need
to write IDL for the types I wanted to communicate between the parts of
my program. If, on the other hand, I wanted the communication to use
TCP/IP directly, my code would be full of TCP/IP library calls. Instead,
I wrote a program where the communication between the parts were
represented by ordinary C++ member function calls. If the object to be
called was local, I directly called members of class X; if not, I called
the same members of class proxy. Using a library with facilities for C++
program transformation, I then automatically converted the calls of
proxy into message sent across a TCP/IP connection or, alternatively, to
CORBA calls.

[...]

"LJ: What languages do you think are serious competitors to C++?

"BS: That depend on the application. Sometime C++ is the best choice; at
other times there are reasons to prefer a language such as Fortran,
Java, C# or Python. And yet other times, one could use a more
experimental language just to learn something new. There are many
languages that are good for what they are designed for, and it is a
mistake to rely solely on one language. On the other hand, competition
is often based on marketing and perceptions rather than facts, and I'm
not going to comment on that."