ODBC connection fails

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Mon Sep 15 18:42:18 CEST 2003

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> What misguided me was the following statement (my emphasis)
>
> > "Alas some drivers only support sequential traversal of the result
> > set, e.i. they do not support what in the ODBC world is known as
> > scrollable cursors. This will have the effect that functions such as
> > first/[1,2], last/[1,2], prev[1,2], etc ***may*** return {error,
> > driver_does_not_support_function}"
>
> Maybe it's only my bad English, but "may" implies that it also "may
> not".
Hummm... the thought behind that was that the functions may
return an error instead of the expected result if you use a driver
that does not support scrollable cursors. I will consider changing the
phrasing to avoid further confusion.

> Thanks again, and now I know that I can use odbc:next without first calling
> odbc:first (which wasn't obvious to me, but reading the documentation very
> carefully, one can deduce it)
Thanks for the input we will try to make it more obvious in the future.

--
/Ingela

Ericsson AB - OTP team