ODBC connection fails

Ingela Anderton ingela@REDACTED
Fri Sep 12 10:47:21 CEST 2003

Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> odbc:connect("DSN=vlad_test;UID=sysdba;PWD=masterkey",[{scrollable_cursors,
> > off}]).
> >
> > You get a connection ?
> >
> > But when you do:
> >
> > odbc:connect("DSN=vlad_test;UID=sysdba;PWD=masterkey",[]).
> >
> > you get {error,connection_closed} ?
>
> Exactly. Ant this is valid for both Firebird 1.4 and Oracle 9.02.
My guess is that both these drivers only support odbc 2.0 standard.
The erlang odbc application uses the odbc 3.0 standard but the only
thing that it uses that does not seem to be backwards compatible with
2.0 seems to be the test for what level of scrollable cursors that
driver supports. The erlang odbc application will by default try to
use scrollable cursor, but it has to check that they are supported by
the driver. When the user disables them explicitly there is no need to
perform the test.

>From the odbc users guide:

The Erlang ODBC application is designed using the version 3.0 of the
ODBC-standard, however using the option {scrollable_cursors, off} for
a connection has been known to make it work for at least some 2.X
drivers.

--
/Ingela

Ericsson AB - OTP team