Erlang FFI question

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Thu Sep 11 07:00:06 CEST 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:21:09 -0600
"pj" <pjdurai@REDACTED> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am new to erlang. From what I have learned (Online Erlang book, and
> some random tutorials from Net) its very impressive.
>
> I would like to learn about how to interface C libraris and Dll's from
> erlang.
> What is the preferred method of talking to the 'out side world' ?
>
> I (vaguely) saw some method of spawning a native application and talk
> to it with something called 'Ports'. Is that the way to do it? How
> about calling shared libraries and dlls?

Hi PJ,

There are many methods.  This document explains most of them:

  http://www.erlang.org/doc/r9c/doc/tutorial/part_frame.html

Study it, try compiling the example programs in it, and you should get a
good feel for what the preferred methods are in various circumstances.

> I believe corba is an option.

Yes.

> Does win32 erlang do COM ?

It appears that it used to:

  http://www.erlang.se/doc/doc-5.0.1/lib/comet-1.0/doc/

but I don't think that COMET is supported anymore - I can't find it in
R9C (the latest release.)

-Chris