Packages in Erlang: new documentation

WILLIAMS Dominic D.WILLIAMS@REDACTED
Wed Sep 3 16:39:57 CEST 2003

While I am at it, and before the Erlang community commits to the
concept of packages, I would like to argue in favour of Eiffel's
concept of a posteriori name conflict resolution by renaming.

The idea is that instead of conservatively putting every name into a
package (which is just extra work, and only reduces the probability of
conflict without eliminating it entirely), you can (locally) rename an
existing module with which you have a name conflict, and use it under
another name (an alias, if you will) in your own code (or in a
specific module, or application).

A single directive in (the Eiffel equivalent of) the (E)makefile is
all you need.

Very neat.

Regards,

Dominic.