Try/Cond

Fredrik Linder fredrik.linder@REDACTED
Wed Oct 22 10:33:05 CEST 2003

Hi folks, I'd like to add my NSHO.

I seriously hope we'll never see any 'try'-statement introduced into Erlang.

With that said, I too would like a deterministic way of separating 'normal
control flow' from 'exceptional control flow'. But Erlang already has that
construct, so why add a new one? Wasn't there a discussion about that just
days ago?

Instead of 'try' could the current 'catch' semantics be extended to add the
desired functionality, WITHOUT affecting already existing code! So why,
really *why*, add a new keyword.

One of the things that make Erlang soo good is that there (usually) are only
one way of doing something. With a new 'try'-statement and the old
'catch'-statement (that won't go away) there will be two...

I fully support the work of separating normal control flow from its
'exceptional' counterpart, but would like to (as many others) keep Erlang
'small.

Very Best
/Fredrik