Erlang is getting too big

Richard Carlsson richardc@REDACTED
Wed Oct 15 10:12:46 CEST 2003

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Richard Carlsson <richardc@REDACTED> wrote:
> 	[that if you define a local function with the same name
> 	 = (symbol/arity) as a pervasive built-in, then you get a
> 	 warning that says you've redefined it, and you can call
> 	 it from the outside, but on the inside you get the built-in].
>
> It seems to me that this is clearly a bug.  The warning is useful, but
> a direct call to a function with a visible local definition should
> _always_ find that local definition, or what are scope rules for?

In Erlang, it seems that the main use of scope rules is to make
interesting exceptions from them.

	/Richard

Richard Carlsson (richardc@REDACTED)   (This space intentionally left blank.)
E-mail: Richard.Carlsson@REDACTED	WWW: http://user.it.uu.se/~richardc/
 "Having users is like optimization: the wise course is to delay it."
   -- Paul Graham