Erlang is getting too big

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Mon Oct 13 13:42:58 CEST 2003

From: "Sean Hinde" <sean.hinde@REDACTED>
> My concern is of adding new features which are a bit tweaky, language
> researchy which do not contribute to the singular vision of Erlang,
> which to me is all about building massive systems which are
> maintainable by non "CS genius" people who can be trained in the
> language in a week.

Ah! Then there we agree.

There is one minor point that I'd like to make: discussing about new features
(even tweaky ones) might prove useful anyway. Maybe someone comes up with a
simple way of using an until that point tweaky feature, making it extremely
useful. If I'm not confusing issues, the bit syntax also had some tweaky
ancestors.

[side note]
In my own experience with trying to introduce Erlang to new "markets", the
problem was about not being able to strip down easily the parts that are not
needed (like in my case for example ASN, Corba). It can surely be done (Wings
proves it by distributing a slim Erlang system), but as far as I know it's a
manual job.
[/]

regards,
Vlad