UML <-> Erlang

Ulf Wiger ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Tue Nov 18 21:31:21 CET 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:04:26 +0100, WILLIAMS Dominic
<D.WILLIAMS@REDACTED> wrote:

> I have heard that SDL and the MSC notation are a better fit with
> Erlang... but I have not tried.

As of the UML 2.0 draft standard, SDL has basically been assimilated
into UML. According to TeleLogic, a long-standing SDL tool developer,
some quirks of SDL were fixed in the process. OTOH, SDL users who
now get migrated to UML 2 have to go back to school, and have a
tendency to balk at all the surrounding (seemingly unnecessary)
complexity, which they suddenly have to understand in order to
make things work.

UML 2 also attempts to standardize Action Language semantics --
not syntax, mind you. I don't know if Erlang, or a derivative
thereof, would fit the bill. That might be interesting...

/Uffe
--
Ulf Wiger