erlgtk 0.9.7 (was: Re: 2D in erlang)

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Wed Nov 5 02:43:09 CET 2003

I'm happy to report that I've gotten erlgtk 0.9.7 to build happily on
both Windows (with generous help from Patrik Nyblom) and FreeBSD.

The Windows version uses GTK+ 2.2 and works for me on both Windows 98
and Windows XP.  A pre-built package is available at:

  http://catseye.webhop.net/projects/erlgtk-0.9.7a_2.0_win/

Note that the tarball is nearly 3 megs, as it includes all the DLL's
(ATK, Pango, etc) required to run GTK+ 2.2 on Windows.

I've also updated the FreeBSD port to 0.9.7, and made it so that it can
be built with either GTK+ 1.2 or 2.x.  A port skeleton (hopefully to be
submitted to the FreeBSD ports tree in the near future, pending Jimmy
Olgeni's okay) is available at:

  http://catseye.webhop.net/freebsd/ports/x11-toolkits/erlgtk/

And pre-built packages are available at:

  http://catseye.webhop.net/freebsd/packages/erlgtk-0.9.7_gtk1.2.tgz
  http://catseye.webhop.net/freebsd/packages/erlgtk-0.9.7_gtk2.0.tgz

These have been tested on FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE i386 (I currently lack
the resources to test on 5.x or alpha[1].)

erlgtk itself is getting to the stage where it's pretty good - there's a
known issue where multiline textboxes with GTK+ 2.x aren't handled, but
other than that, it's pretty decent.  There are quite a few things it
can do that GS just can't - for example, intercepting and cancelling a
request to close a window.

-Chris

[1] According to bento, there's some kind of hidden error when building
Erlang R9C under FreeBSD on the alpha architecture - erl builds, but it
can't seem to run anything correctly.  Unfortunately, without access to
one of these machines, I can only guess what the problem is.  Does
anyone here have access to/experience with one of these beasts?