Very strange behaviour!

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Wed May 21 22:23:13 CEST 2003

On Wed, 21 May 2003 11:13:14 +0200
"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED> wrote:

> > When you [re]installed Erlang/OTP, did you choose to install Winsock
> > 2?
>
> No, but I don't get the question whether to install it or not either,
> I suppose the installation program senses it's not on Win95 and
> Winsock2 is already present.

Hm, you're right - I've only installed Erlang on one Windows XP box, and
I don't remember it asking about winsock.

> I could not find yet any Winsock2 installation for Win2000, and I'm
> not sure the one for Win95 will work, but I will look further.

Well, I wouldn't even be suggesting it if you didn't mention that this
was a fresh(ish) install of Windows.

I thought about it some more and I really can't think of why Erlang
would have any reason to do anything with the TCP/IP stack on startup
unless it's running a distribution, or maybe just some initialization
code.  So, I'm beginning to think it's less likely that it's the
problem.

Although that doesn't rule out C#/.NET - if you have plenty of time, you
could try installing XP from scratch, then installing Erlang first thing
and trying it, then installing C#/.NET or whatever else, then trying
Erlang again.

Or... grasping at straws here... maybe you could try:

- different boot scripts
- recompiling init.beam with a call to fprof at the start
  (assuming that fprof can be started independent of the rest of the
  system, which I don't know for sure)
- or just littering the startup code with erlang:display("here!")
  statements... crude but at least an indication of roughly where the
  slowdown is occurring

> thanks! regards,
> Vlad

No problem :)