Erlang filesystem (a bit long) (was: Re: File versioning)

Scott Lystig Fritchie fritchie@REDACTED
Thu May 8 20:32:02 CEST 2003

Too off-topic to continue on the list....

cp> I could be blinded by the thousands of horror stories and the
cp> unfortunate nickname "Network Failure System" given to it by a
cp> guru I highly respect, but I believe that sticking your data on 8"
cp> floppy disks and walking it from one computer to the other is
cp> superior to NFS in every way :)

Ah, you're confusing NFS client implementation with NFS server
implementation.

If you control the NFS client implementation, you control how it
reacts in the event of NFS server or network failure.  There's nothing
that says that NFS must be implemented by the OS kernel.  :-)

-Scott