File versioning

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Wed May 7 09:44:32 CEST 2003

Hi all,

There were some discussions for some time ago about disk data that lives
"forever" and all versions are available.

Jay wrote:
> An interesting
> approach would be to make the disk single-assignment.  *Never*
> allow data to be modified, only allow new versions of the
> data to be created and retain all versions for their lifetime.

Would this be something to think about? In an Erlang environment, we could modify the file server to access some kind of repository for some parts of the namespace, which could be a database or a CVS repository or something like that. This way everything looks like normal files, but they aren't. Maybe Luke's nfs server could also be a part of this too...

best regards,
Vlad