Problems with Strings

Raimo Niskanen raimo.niskanen@REDACTED
Fri Mar 28 07:49:34 CET 2003

inversa("") -> "";
inversa([Ini|Cont]) -> Inv= inversa(Cont), [Ini|Inv].
-----------------------------------------------^-here

You have accidentally built a deep list, which does not print as a
string (beginner mistake no ~3). If you would have written your deep
list to a file, or printed it with io:format("~s~n", [[$c,[$a,[$b]]]]),
you would have got what you wanted.

And why not use lists:reverse/1,2 instead of writing your own? They use
a built in emulator function that is much faster than any Erlang code.

Background: There are no strings in Erlang. They are represented as
lists of character ascii values. "abc" is syntactical sugar for
[$a,$b,$c]. If you print a list using format character ~p it will use
the "abc" syntactical sugar style if the list is a flat list of
printable characters.

/ Raimo Niskanen, Erlang/OTP