Extending Functionality: mdisp

Chris Pressey cpressey@REDACTED
Fri Mar 21 04:49:15 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:55:22 -0600
Chris Pressey <cpressey@REDACTED> wrote:

> On the subject of what I've been exploring - that is, having a seamless
> transition between processless and processful objects - I had a bit of
> an epiphany this afternoon - I think it would turn out to be something
> like Ulf's mdisp package (which I unfortunately haven't looked at
> closely enough yet), except more dynamic.

Er - now that I've looked at it - it is almost *exactly* what I was
thinking of... *except*...

This will probably sound quite weird in the context of mdisp, but what if
threads could do stuff while they were asleep?

That is - if you were to execute a *synchronous* call to a thread, would
it even have to wake up?  It could execute entirely in the context of the
caller.  It would only have to wake up for casts.  (Unless of course I've
completely gone off the deep end on this one - a distinct possibility :)

If my hunch *is* on target, then mdisp might serve as a good basis for a
compromise between processes and objects, such as what might be desirable
for a GUI, or a simulated world.  Any thoughts on this?

-Chris