Extending Functionality: an expedient and questionable approach

Lennart Öhman lennart.ohman@REDACTED
Fri Mar 14 00:03:46 CET 2003

> ...otherwise what happens?  I'm curious.

Hi,

one of the major ideas of Erlang/OTP is that it (and mainly
the OTP part then) provides a recovery strategy which is
capable of recovering from more or less any run-time error.
(Through, possibly escalating, restarts).

To make such a model work you must have some part of the code
which *is* considered correct. That part is written by some
wizards and reviewed, and then reveiwed by another bunch of
wizards. If you are aiming to write software for environments
requiering some kind of certificate, you can explain this in
the application and get it approved.

If you let the regular developer in to this sphere, you have
violated the correctness assumption.

Just my 2-cents of thoughts from someone who may have seen to
much go wrong if have the slightest chance.

/Lennart

Lennart Ohman                   phone   : +46-8-587 623 27
Sjoland & Thyselius Telecom AB  cellular: +46-70-552 6735
Sehlstedtsgatan 6               fax     : +46-8-667 8230
SE-115 28 STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN     email   : lennart.ohman@REDACTED