Remote connect problems.

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Wed Mar 12 22:22:09 CET 2003

Walter C. Reel III writes:

 > With the fully qualified name provided neither of the machines can talk to
 > each other now.
[...]

Everything you're doing looks correct.

The next steps are to figure out whether epmd is doing the right
things. If I start a node on each of my two machines and run 'epmd
-names', I see:

  xterm1@REDACTED> erl -name 'whipper@REDACTED' -setcookie nocookie

  xterm2@REDACTED> /usr/local/lib/erlang/bin/epmd -names
  epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
  name whipper at port 1460

on the other machine

  xterm3@REDACTED> /opt/erlang/lib/erlang/erts-5.1.2/bin/epmd -names
  epmd: up and running on port 4369 with data:
  name snipper at port 4916

If you see something similar (i.e. each EPMD process has its local
node registered), then it's starting to get hairy. You can get more
information by sniffing the ethernet when you do the first ping from
one node to the other. You should see a successful TCP 3-way on
port 4369 followed by a second successful 3-way on another port.

Anyone out there who uses Windows on a regular basis with some
suggestions?

Matthias