Erlang questions on comp.lang.functional.

Faust urfaust@REDACTED
Mon Mar 3 00:18:23 CET 2003

This is a message from comp.lang.functional.
Someone wanted "hot code replacement, just like erlang"
I suggested using erlang.
This was the reply I recieved.
Please not the comment about "how good or bad Erlang PR is "

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could answer
in comp.lang.functional, thus contributing to good PR :-)

 Forwarded from comp.lang.functional

 Faust wrote:

> Erlang is a functional language.
> Is there any reason to not use erlang ?

 I have never programmed in Erlang, just skimmed a few chapters of
 written material, so take this as an account of how good or bad the
 Erlang PR is, not whether Erlang is good or bad.
 So, here's what speaks against Erlang (there are also a lot of things
 that speak *for* it, I'm omitting that because it would be off-topic):

 1. No static typing.

 2. Bytecode interpreted (i.e. not compiled to native code).

 3. Possibly not "really functional", i.e. mutable stuff (message sends
 and state-dependent responses) play an important part when it comes to
 structuring and maintaining large programs. (Of course, you *can* do
 large parts of purely functional programming in Erlang.) (This is just
 an impression that I gained, something that somebody with personal
 experience in Erlang should confirm or deny. Hence the "possibly" in the
 first sentence of this paragraph.)

 4. Some roots in Prolog, which I find... er... disturbing (my personal
 encounters with Prolog were, say, unlucky... its strengths were less
 useful than I had expected, and definitely not worth the weaknesses that
 were the payment for its strengths - IMHO (I never became a Prolog guru)).

 Note that all of the above points might be considered irrelevant, a
 showstopper, or even a plus, depending on circumstances, available
 expertise, and personal religion.

 Regards,
 Joachim

 end of forwarded message.
--

natsu-gusa ya   / tsuwamono-domo-ga   / yume no ato
summer grasses  / strong ones         / dreams site

Summer grasses,
All that remains
Of soldier's dreams
(Basho trans. Stryk)