Handling huge amounts of data

Mats Cronqvist etxmacr@REDACTED
Tue Jun 3 16:48:47 CEST 2003

  we (AXD301) have had some success in reducing garbage collect cost by
increasing the heap size of data shuffling processes
 from erlang:spawn_opt/4 doc;

       {min_heap_size, Size}:
           Gives a minimum heap size in words. Setting this value
           higher  than  the  system  default might speed up some
           processes because less  garbage  collection  is  done.
           Setting  too  high  value, however, might waste memory
           and slow down the system due to worse  data  locality.
           Therefore,  it  is recommended to use this option only
           for fine-tuning an application and to measure the exe-
           cution time with various Size values.