A Joeish Erlang distribution

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Fri Jan 31 10:02:39 CET 2003

You guys are confusing the people on this list who haven't had the
benefit of years of Erlang coding experience.  It's hard to wrap
your head around the difference between Erlang and OTP when what
you're working with is the documentation for the Erlang/OTP
distribution.

In my case I embraced Erlang because the OTP was built using it.
I wasn't looking for a cool new language that I'd be the only one
on my block who knew.(*)  I was looking to manage all the problems
that come with building a telecom system.  OTP may not be perfect
but until you're ready to build a better one you should be using
it.

For all the folks still on the learning curve (most):

	Follow the OTP design principles, and use the OTP
	tools.  You will stay out of trouble and build
	systems which work well while concentrating on
	your application itself.

   -Vance